The first mention of the village Stekník dates back to 1389, when a dispute arises between Hynek Pluh of Orlík and Plichta of Žerotín for the estate of Smil of Kováně. The original name of the village was Vzteklinec and the gradual garbling created today’s Stekník. The owners were Lobkowicz, Emperor Rudolf II., Kaplířs of Sulevic, Aldringens, Jan Oldřich of Bissingen, Lochner of Palič, Kulháneks of Klaudestein and Korbs of Weidenheim.During the period of Korbs, the Stekník estate was a village with a castle, a courtyard, a brewery and a spritit distillery. The village got its present appearance after a fire in 1784. It was also hit several times by floods. After the Munich agreement, it was annexed to Germany. In 1995 a village monument zone was declared in the village. Today it is one of the most important hop-growing communities and falls under the municipality of Zálužice. In addition to extensive hop gardens and Baroque farmsteads, the Rococo castle, a Baroque granary, a chapel with a mineral spring, light fortification buildings and a flood barrier are worth seeing.
The cadastre of the village was already inhabited in prehistoric times, as evidenced by number of archaeological findings.
The first written mention of the village dates back to 1389, when after the death of Smil of Kováně arises a dispute between Hynek Pluh of Orlík and Plichta of Žerotín over his estate. At that time, the village was called Vzteklinec. Stekník was an independent estate for a long time, but before 1539 it became a part of Líčkov estate, which belonged to the Lobkowicz family. Shortly between 1542 and 1543, Stekník was presented as a part of Veletice, but soon joined Líčkov estate again. In 1595 Stekník was bought by Knight Jiří the Elder Kaplíř of Sulevice from Emperor Rudolf II. and joined it Tuchořice estate, but Stekník soon becomes independent. After the Battle of the White Mountain, the Kaplíř´s estate was confiscated and several owners took possession of the village. In 1681, the rich burgher Jan Jiří Kulhánek bought a devastated village with a burnt down fortress. The castle is built on the remains of the fortress and his descendants magnificently modify it in the Rococo style in the second half of the 18th century. When in 1784 a fire broke out in the village, during which 15 houses and 5 barns burnt down, the farmsteads in the village gained a Baroque appearance and at the end of the village a massive baroque granary was built.
In 1796, Josef Antonín Karel Korb of Weidenheim bought the estate from Count Jan František Kulhánek of Klaudenstein. During the Korb´s period, Stekník estate was a village with a castle, a courtyard, a brewery and a sprits distillery. After the dissolution of the nobility in 1848, it became an independent municipality. In 1880, fields, hop gardens and part of the village hit the flood. This year, the village had the largest population, a total of 260. In the 1920s was 78% of the population of German nationality, and Stekník after the Munich Agreement was annexed to Nazi Germany.
After the World War II, most German inhabitants of the village were forcibly displaced and the village was subsequently settled by Volhynian Czechs. Until 1960 the village was part of the Žatec district, but after reorganization it was affiliated to the Louny district and became a settlement of Zálužice. In January 1981 it was assigned to Žatec and in 1998 it again became a local part of Zálužice. Thanks to well-preserved historical buildings from the 18th century, the village was declared a village monument zone in 1995.
Between Stekník and Hradiště, a unique flood wall has been preserved, which was built in 1838 to protect the fields from the flooded Ohře River.
So you can take a stroll and read interesting facts about hops and the place.
You are entering the grounds of the Hop Institute, where agricultural machinery moves all year around. Take extra care! Enter at your own risk.
|Hop Research Institute Co., LTD|
438 01 Zatec
|+420 415 732 111|
|Stekník, 438 01 Žatec|
Beer tasting during the beer festival at the Hop Research Institute in Žatec.
-traditional event for invited experts and laics at the Hop Research Institute
-accompanying program at the beer festival